EC Preps






SANTEE – In another highly anticipated contest between two Division IV favorites, the Mariners were able to use second-half momentum to overcome a deficit and pull out the victory.

Things started out in favor of the Sultans as they were able to take advantage of a fumble by the Mariners with a 32-yard field by Colton Snipes to make it 3-0 early on with a little over five minutes remaining in the first quarter.

Santana once again on the defensive side of the ball stopped the Mariners offense and forced them to punt. The Sultans would march down the field all the way to the 17-yard line where Sean Iverson would find Jacob Petersen open who would scamper into the end zone for the score to give the Sultans a 10-0 lead.

Mar Vista finally would solve the defense of the Sultans and get the run game going in the second quarter. They would drive down the field and finally put points on the board behind Jacob Galeana and his 3-yard smash into the end zone to pull within 10-7.

Both teams went back and forth and the Sultans let the clock run out to give themselves a 10-7 lead at intermission.

Mar Vista received the second half kickoff after the Sultans had opened the game receiving. With the ball at their own 10-yard line, Hasan Spruill who tallied 195 yards rushing took the handoff and zipped his way through the Sultans defense and into the clear all the way to pay dirt untouched for a 90-yard touchdown and a 14-10 lead at the 11:37 mark in the third quarter.

“The 90-yard run by Spruill really gave us the momentum for the rest of the game and was a big boost for confidence.” Said Mariners head coach Tyler Arciaga.

The Mariners really used the long touchdown run courtesy of Spruill as a springboard as they jumped all over the Sultans on the defensive side of the ball smothering the run game. With the ball back and the momentum, the offense of Mar Vista again was able to jump start. They would march down the field and eventually score on a 16-yard run by Galeana to push the lead 20-10.

Santana now trailing by ten points knew they were in trouble and had to do something. The Sultans were able to put together a semi-nice drive and march down the field but eventually stall in Mariners territory where once again settle for a field goal. This time Snipes would nail it from 27-yards to cut the deficit 20-13.

Unfortunately, due to injuries, the Sultans were forced to put in other players and the defense just wore down which was to Mar Vistas advantage and they took it as they ran the ball through the defense. Eventually, they would get into Sultans territory.

Santana really needing a stop and a turnover or something to occur but Galeana would take the handoff down the right side of the field and make his way to the end zone to put the game on ice for the Mariners giving them a 27-13 lead.

“This game is always a battle and the home team has won the last few contests. The guys came out a little sluggish in the first half but in the second half after getting warm we came out rejuvenated.” Said Arciaga about his teams sluggish first half start and the second half difference.

“We came out and played well to start but couldn’t keep the momentum and that 90-yard touchdown run really hurt us by taking the momentum.” Said Santana head coach Tim Estes when asked about the play.

Mar Vista on the night tallied 353 yards of total offense compared to the 136 for the Sultans.

The win boosts the Mariners in the Division IV positioning as both teams came in neck and neck.

Both teams are now 4-2 and Mar Vista will take on Southwest San Diego while the Sultans will open league play hosting Mount Miguel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *